Oh So Close...

So with the engine out I ran into more difficulties. It seems like the difficulties come with REALLY seized bolts/screws. Who knew that almost 30 years of inactivity would cause so many problems?

I had all of the screws loosened on the head of the engine except for two. Turns out (after looking on the SOHC4 forum) that those two are the most difficult to remove as they tend to get very corroded. Mine were no exception. They are awful. Definitely need new ones. Especially since I had to drill the head off both and had to drill out one entirely. This process took entirely too long and was somewhat stressful at time but long story short, I got them out and the head came off.

This is what was underneath.

The cam chain looks great!...I think.

The past couple of days/nights I have been loosening and remove rocker arms, cam shafts, etc. etc. It is kind of a jumble of bolts, screws, rods and chains. So much so that I need to be crazy organized which is right up my alley!

A lot of nuts and their respective positions.

This is what the engine looks like right now.

I am very close to removing the cylinder head cover. One more screw needs to be loosened and I certainly can't start wailing at it with an impact driver at 11pm so it will have to wait for tomorrow. Once that is loosened I can lift the head up and get a look at the pistons.

Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply